About our Family Council
Family Council at Saint Luke’s Place serves many useful and helpful purposes in supporting the care of our Long-Term Care Residents, including but not limited to:
• Provides assistance, information and advice to residents, family members of residents and persons of importance to residents, including when new residents are admitted to the home.
• Advises residents, family members of residents and persons of importance to residents respecting the rights and obligations of the licensee.
• Attempts to resolve differences.
• Sponsors and plans activities for residents.
• Collaborates with community groups and volunteers concerning activities for residents..
• Reviews reports and information concerning the home.
• Advises of any concerns or recommendations the Council has about the operation of the home.
At Saint Luke’s Place, we are very lucky to have an active and engaged Family Council.
Helen Furner, our Family Council Chair, is a past recipient of the “Outstanding Family Council Member” Award from Family Councils Ontario.
Helen Furner, Family Council Chair
Through Helen’s leadership as volunteer chairperson, our Family Council has grown. Since February 2012, Helen has created a friendly, inviting and educational forum in which families can discuss, learn and advocate for their loved one.
Helen has worked with Family Council members, management and staff of Saint Luke’s Place in order to ensure that our residents’ quality of life is held in the highest regard. Helen is a strong and compassionate supporter of families as they face the new and unique experiences involved with having a loved one residing in Long-Term Care. Helen encourages and mentors other Family Council members to navigate all of the information and resources available to them.
“In my experience, Family Council provides the ways and means to make a difference in your loved one’s life by encouraging mutual respect with the staff and management. It has also provided us with a friendly place where family members can find comfort in knowing we are all dealing with similar situations, letting us know we are not alone during these difficult times.” Helen FurnerHelen Furner
Nicole Bassarab, Social Services Consultant
Nicole is the Social Worker at Saint Luke’s Place. She serves as the Staff liaison for the Family Council, working collaboratively to facilitate communication and cooperation between the residents, staff and our volunteer Family Council Members.
Nicole would love to hear from you if you would like to talk to her about joining the Family Council. You can reach Nicole at 519-658-5183, ext. 264.
Family Council Meeting Dates
All meetings take place at Saint Luke’s Place from 6pm-9pm. Family Council meets every second month. Please check our Events Calendar for the dates for 2017.
From time to time special issues are addressed with guest speakers invited.
If you have a loved one residing in our Long Term Care home, this may be a way for you to get involved!